Saffron Date Phyllo Rolls
Dates are one of the most versatile ingredients, they are an obvious choice for desserts especially in Ramadan. They are very nutritious and are packed with protein, fiber, potassium, and magnesium. In lieu of reducing our added sugar intake as a family, I love them since they are naturally very sweet with minimal processing. I have also recently started playing with saffron because it is a true gem in the kitchen. It lends a very unique floral and aromatic flavor that sets this recipe apart from all others of this type. This recipe is a perfect choice for a simple and light dessert that is a crowd pleaser for sure! I hope you and your family enjoy.
Saffron Phyllo Date Rolls
- 1 lb Phyllo (thin pastry) Dough
- 13 oz Date Paste or 1 Package
- 3 tbsp melted ghee or butter
- 3 tbsp Rose Water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup melted ghee or butter additional
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch Saffron Threads
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar
- Start off by preparing the saffron glaze by warming up heavy cream in a small saucepan, then adding 1tbs sugar or honey and saffron threads, set this aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a tray with parchment paper
- Prepare the date paste first by adding 3 tbs. of melted butter, rose water, cinnamon, cardamom and mix well, set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter or ghee and set aside in a small bowl, have a pastry brush ready on hand.
- Open phyllo dough and begin assembling rolls immediately. Do not let pastry dry out as it will quickly become hard and difficult to roll. I like to keep a damp paper towel handy to lay over them if I need to step away.
- For the assembly, lay out phyllo horizontally, with the wide side facing you. Brush the lower half of the pastry with ghee and fold it over to make a long rectangle.
- Next, brush the lower half once more and fold again to make a thinner rectangle. Cut this in half as this will become two date rolls.
- Add about a teaspoon of the date paste mixture to the thin edge of one of the rectangular pieces and begin rolling. Lay out close to one another on parchment lined tray.
- Finally, brush remaining butter over the phyllo rolls, if there is not leftover butter, simply melt an additional 1/4 cup of butter or ghee.
- Place in preheated oven in the center rack for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon over saffron heavy cream over the warm rolls and place back in oven for additional 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool well before enjoying.